Italian writer sheds light on new motives, Regeni murder suspects say case served to destroy Cairo-Rome relations

CAIRO – February 14, 2021: Leopoldo Salmaso, Italian doctor and political author, has accused security officials in Rome and London of planning and executing the assassination of Italian doctoral student Giulio Regeni in Cairo in 2016 for reasons policies.

Salmaso, in an article he wrote in ComeDonChisciotte, claimed that the turbulence following the murder of Regeni was only aimed at destroying the good relations between Egypt and Italy and harming the common economic interests of the two countries.

Salmazo believes that the whole Regeni affair was done in order to reschedule energy sources in the Mediterranean, or in the direct sense, in order to deprive Italy of the great opportunities for cooperation in the gas sector.

The author claims that Regeni had been trained in the United States in institutions related to intelligence before going to Cairo. He was also trained at Oxford Analytica, which the writer calls a multinational spy company.

Salmaso said Regeni in Cairo is looking for opposition figures who seek to destabilize the Egyptian state after the June 2013 revolution against the Muslim Brotherhood term. The author added that an Egyptian citizen reported the case to security authorities after questioning Regeni’s intentions.

Salmaso also believes Regeni’s assassins were the ones who sent him, as they believed he had been exposed to Egyptian security authorities.

The author also believes that Regeni’s mother played a role in covering up the truth about her son’s murder by preventing Egyptian security authorities from having her laptop from her Cairo residence as evidence.

Conflicting conclusions

In November, the Italian prosecution in Rome said five people belonging to the security authorities are suspected in the case of the murder of the Italian student, but the Egyptian prosecution considers the suspicions to be “unfounded”.

Regeni, a 28-year-old doctoral student, disappeared in early 2016 in the Egyptian capital; he was found dead in February of the same year, his body showing signs of torture. The perpetrators of the crime have not yet been brought to justice despite judicial cooperation between Egypt and Italy.

The Egyptian prosecution said in a joint statement from the two prosecutions that Regeni was the victim of a robbery gang, saying he could find his things in the apartment of one of the gang members.

However, he claimed that Regeni’s murderer is still unknown to the Egyptian side.

The Rome prosecution, for its part, decided to close the investigation after discovering that five people belonging to the security authorities were suspect in the case, a conclusion with which the Egyptian prosecution says it does not agree.

“The Egyptian prosecution service, despite its understanding and appreciation of Italian legal procedures. However, he has complete reservations about this suspicion and does not approve of it, as it is not based on solid evidence, ”the statement read.

The Egyptian prosecution says it understands the independent decisions that the Rome prosecution will take on the basis of this conclusion.

According to the findings of the Egyptian prosecution, the gang of thieves that victimized Regeni had committed similar crimes using false documents claiming they were part of an Egyptian security authority.

“The Egyptian public prosecutor will deal with this incident in this way,” the statement added.

The Egyptian prosecution has indicated that it will “temporarily close” the investigations into the case and that it will assign the search and investigation services to undertake the procedures required to find the perpetrator.

He added that the Rome prosecutor’s office accepts the Egyptian side’s decision.

“Finally, the two parties have shown their commitment to continue judicial cooperation between them and to submit all the information that must be obtained around the incident to find out the truth,” the statement said.

“The two prosecutors affirm that judicial cooperation between them has been and will remain at the highest level in all judicial areas,” the statement added.

No basis for filing a file

A month later, the Egyptian prosecutor announced that there was currently no basis to initiate criminal proceedings for the murder, kidnapping and incident of physical torture of Regeni.

The public prosecutor instructed the investigative bodies to continue their work to identify the culprit (s) and dropped the charges against four officers and a police officer affiliated with the National Security Agency.

In addition, the criminal case of robbery was dropped due to the death of the defendants.

The prosecution opened an investigation on February 3, 2016 when citizens found the victim’s body on the desert road from Cairo to Alexandria. The investigations lasted nearly five years

During these years, the prosecution determined the events from his disappearance until the discovery of the body as well as the details of his stay in Egypt. During this time, he traveled to and from Egypt on several occasions, having destinations in Italy, Turkey and Israel.

Investigations also identified his Egyptian and non-Egyptian knowledge. This is in addition to his efforts in the context of scientific research he was conducting on unions, labor movements and independent unions, in particular the union of street vendors and irregular workers under the aegis of the American University in Cairo ( AUC).

Investigations have also closely delineated his activities in the final days before his disappearance and on the day of his disappearance until the body was found.

The prosecution arranged for the autopsy to take place to determine the cause of death. Also, his clothes; objects from which the body lay; data on the victim’s phone SIM card; SIM cards that were present where he last visited and where the body was found; and, the contents of the surveillance cameras located at the place where he disappeared were analyzed.

In addition, the prosecution gathered the testimonies of nearly 120 witnesses and requested investigations from the security agencies. These inquiries indicated that the victim – in the course of carrying out scientific research – was in contact with a number of members of independent trade unions and street vendors as well as members of various political groups.

The victim was present in the sites where they met and criticized in his conversations with them the behavior of certain political groups in the country and the way they handle political mobility. He expressed concern about the danger such groups pose to the stability of Egypt. Investigations proved the victim’s discussions with pedestrian vendors about the system in force in Egypt and that he claimed they could change the status quo as has happened in other countries.

The prosecution inspected the victim’s residence in Egypt and found that her parents had recovered all of her personal belongings, including her laptop, just after the news of her death was announced.

for judicial cooperation, the Egyptian Public Prosecutor’s Office informed the Public Prosecutor’s Office in Rome of the updates of the investigation. This was done through 15 bilateral meetings between investigative teams from each country’s prosecution service. He also sent his Italian counterpart some requests – out of five communications – as these would help the investigation.

However, the Italian public prosecutor’s office did not respond to some of these requests, such as the dispatch of Regeni’s laptop and the testimonies of witnesses questioned by the Italian authorities, without indicating “good enough” reasons. The excuse was that Italy pledged not to disclose information it acquired from other states to Egypt or any other state. Since the Egyptian Public Prosecutor’s Office is the original entity responsible for the investigation, such an act does not meet the standards of international judicial cooperation, the statement released on Wednesday said.

On the other hand, the Egyptian public prosecutor received requests from their Italian counterparts – on four communications – and responded to most of them, with the exception of extracting the identity of all those present. and moving between five underground metro stations in Cairo using mobile phone service. suppliers as well as to provide the names of all foreigners who have been arrested or arrested by the police since the evening of the same day he disappeared and until the body was found. Indeed, such measures would violate the privacy of Egyptians and international human rights law.

The prosecution requested legal aid from the United Kingdom to obtain information from the University of Cambridge on the nature of the investigation carried out by the victim and the reasons for his trip to Egypt. The Egyptian public prosecutor also wanted to know the testimonies of the supervisors who supervised the research and the sources of funding. The prosecution also requested Kenyan legal aid to obtain the testimony of a witness in Kenya, who claimed to have heard Regeni speak with an Egyptian officer. Yet none of these states approved without stating the reasons.


Source link

Comments are closed.